Did you know that one in four people have already given up on their New Year’s Resolution(s)?
In my experience, there are many different ways to set yourself personal goals that will remain consistent throughout the year.
Have you heard of the acronym S.M.A.R.T.?
The SMART framework for goal setting has several pros and cons.
Pros of SMART Goals
Each component of the SMART acronym can help define the goal in a way that is easy to understand and track progress:
- Clarity: SMART goals will give you a clear and specific framework for setting your goals.
- Focus: SMART goals help individuals and teams stay focused on what needs to be achieved.
- Accountability: SMART goals establish clear criteria for success and make it easier to hold individuals accountable for their performance.
- Motivation: SMART goals can be highly motivating. When goals are specific, challenging yet achievable, and tied to a clear timeline, individuals are more likely to feel motivated to stay with it and complete it.
Cons of SMART Goals
- Rigid: The structure of the SMART framework may be seen as too rigid for some individuals or situations. It may not account for unforeseen circumstances or changes in priorities that could affect goal attainment.
- Lack of Flexibility: Setting SMART goals may limit creativity and innovation. The focus on measurability and achievability may discourage individuals from pursuing other ideas and not allowing for flexibility in lifestyle.
- Overemphasis on Measurement: SMART goals often prioritise quantitative measures of success, such as numbers on a scale or tape measure. This can lead to a narrow focus on the numbers rather than considering the overall effect on physical and mental wellbeing.
- Unrealistic Expectations: Despite the “Achievable” component of SMART goals, there is still a risk of setting unrealistic expectations. If goals are set without considering the available resources, time constraints, or external factors, they may become unattainable and demotivating.
Your goals don’t need to be new things, they can be things you’re already doing, but would like to continue doing.
In conclusion, while the SMART framework provides a structured approach to goal setting, it is important to consider its limitations and adapt it to individual needs and circumstances.
My Goals for 2024
I try and simplify goal setting as much as possible.
- What goal(s) would you like to achieve this year?
- Where are you in your goal journey?
- Realistically, what time period do you want to achieve it in?
- The more discipline you have, the quicker the progress, the more relaxed your approach, the slower the progress.
- How are you going to do it?
I have goals in different areas of my life.
- I think it’s important to have time with my little family, so I always make sure there is time allocated towards that, as it’s very important to my own happiness.
- Staying physically & mentally well is a top priority for me and can be combined with spending time with my family by taking nice long walks, training together, enjoying periods of detox and healthy meals.
- I love what I do, so I have to find the right balance to allow me to really help others, whilst still enjoying the things I treasure in my personal life.
The launch of my new venture – the 8020 Lifestyle Business. To celebrate this launch, we are looking for twenty founding members to join ‘The Process’ at an exclusive mega-discounted rate. This is a limited-time offer for those ready to commit to their well-being and start the year with renewed focus and energy. If you’re eager to be part of this transformative journey, then read on here.
If I find a way to combine all of these elements, then I feel I have a balanced lifestyle, and of course finding time for an enjoyable social life too!
Algarve, February 2024
I’m very much looking forward to our first lifestyle retreat of 2024, situated just a short walk from the beautiful beach of Porto De Mós and equidistant to the picturesque, traditional villages of Lagos and Praia Da Luz.
We have two spacious villas, with double and twin en-suite bedrooms available; all furnished and equipped to a high standard. Each Villa has good size verandas with clear views over the sea and beach where you can witness amazing sunrises and sunsets.
It really is the perfect place to work on your health and fitness goals or even set some new resolutions, who says you need to start in January?
Saturday 3 – Friday 9 Feb
Saturday 24 Feb – Friday 1 March
Book directly through the website or simply Email, WhatsApp, or DM me on Instagram.